So, I´m trying out a new idea – Bodega in the Kitchen – where I video how to prepare Spanish foods. I’m pretty happy with the way this turned out. I would love to get your feedback! The recipe follows the video.
(To make a 4 person tortilla, you will need two frying pans, one 12″ diameter which is used to fry the ingredients, and the other an 8″ diameter to make the actual tortilla. It is highly recommended that you use a non-stick pan, so as not to burn the tortilla.)
Ingredients (4 generous servings):
- 4 medium potatoes (preferably red) cut into into irregular pieces approximately 3/4″ in size
- 1 medium onion (white) cut like the potatoes
- 3 large eggs
- Olive oil (extra virgin, of course)
1. Place the larger frying with some olive oil on medium heat, and when it is hot, add the potatoes and the onions. Fry until they are golden in color. Place them in a colander to drain the oil.
2. Beat the eggs in a bowl and add salt to taste.
3. Put the potatoes and onion into the egg and add more salt, if necessary.
4. Place the smaller frying pan on high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. When it is hot, pour the egg, potato, and onion mixture into the pan a spread evenly using a wooden spoon. Cook on medium heat for a few minutes making sure to separate the mixture from the side of the pan.
5. Lower the heat (medium-low), place a plate the side of the pan upside down over the pan, and with both hands, flip the whole thing over so that the plate is now underneath the pan.
6. Place the empty pan back on the flame and slide the tortilla into the pan.
7. Allow to cook a little while, then repeat the flipping process. Keep flipping the tortilla until it takes on a golden color, and is firm when pushed with the spoon (or finger).
Note: The tortilla may be eaten immediately, however it is much better if allowed to cool down for at least an hour. It is even better the next day (I can attest to this)!
Good luck and do not hesitate to give me your feedback.